Schedule a meeting with your team – it’s time to start talking about value stream mapping!
Value stream mapping - VSM for short – is a team exercise and should involve representatives from all of the areas within the organization. The idea behind VSM is to see where delays are in your processes. Analyze ways to eliminate anything that doesn’t add value – or creates waste with VSM.
VSM is also known as a lean way to create ‘material and information flow mapping’ and can be applied to virtually every industry.
VSM provides you with the ability to map systems that:
- Need improvement
- Discover what’s valuable to the company
- Have a high likelihood of success
- Can form the bases of improvement for other products and families
Value stream mapping represents a series of steps that an organization uses to build solutions that provide a continuous flow of value to a customer. By collecting process data such as:
- Cycle time – how long it takes to make one product
- Change over time
- Number of operators
- Net available working times
- Scrap rate
- Pack size and pallet size
Value stream mapping involves extensive steps and should be facilitated by an expert. Or, you can become your own expert with these VSM industry books:
Creating Mixed Model Value Streams Practical Lean Techniques for Bu...
- This comprehensive book is a hands-on primer for those seeking to implement lean in complex environments or unique situations. This book is a great resource and will provide managers with the knowledge to guide their companies through tough obstacles and attain a positive bottom line.
Value Stream Management: Eight Steps to Planning, Mapping, and Sust...
- The authors of this book stress the importance of reaching beyond single-point kaizens to ensure a sustainable lean implementation process. With a comprehensive overview of basic lean concepts, they link the metrics and reporting required by management with the lean tools needed on the manufacturing floor.
Learning to See: Value Stream Mapping to Add Value and Eliminate Mu...
- Easy-to-read, step-by-step instruction manual teaches the value tool of VSM to anyone, regardless of his or her background. This book is filled with actual maps, as well as engaging diagrams and illustrations to represent every process in the material and information flow.
The Strategos Guide to Value Stream & process Mapping Genesis o...
- If you’re looking for helpful tips on facilitating group VSM exercises to help your lean initiatives, the photos and examples in this book with help you. Consider this book a comprehensive, yet practical resource to help you with value stream mapping.
Starting the value stream mapping process doesn’t have to be complicated. These books will help you become a pro and successfully enhance production from the front doors to the back deck.
Contact The 5S Store today!