Five quick ideas for cultivating communication across multiple departments
Research has shown that effective workplace communication increases morale, productivity, and commitment throughout an organization. Although many businesses understand the value of communication, getting everyone on board can be challenging because some habits are hard to break.
If you’ve recently experienced changes in HR, management, job roles, or had new hires, these quick ideas for cultivating communication across your organization will help you get back on track. Because building a workplace where there is a constant exchange of ideas involves just the right formula.
1) Culture – If you haven’t created a lean culture that’s unique to your business, you need to. Businesses thrive when they provide a culture that fosters a positive atmosphere, organized workflow, and improvement processes. With a lean culture, you can change habits and get everyone involved in actively making improvements.
A great book to check out is Creating a Lean Culture: Tools to Sustain Lean Conversions,Third Ed... by David Mann’s. In this book he shows you how to implement a sustainable, successful transformation by developing a culture that has the stakeholders throughout the organizational involved and devoted to the outcome.
2) 5S communication boards – Visual communication surrounds us everywhere and when used in the workplace it is highly effective. By placing 5S communication boards throughout your departments, you can showcase 5S activities such as team members, before and after photos, 5S audit scores, and implemented ideas. Such communication helps to set standards and sustain improvement.
5S communication boards are meant for focusing on 5S activities and showcasing how departments are progressing. Typically they show audit scores, 5S team photos, and before and after images.
3) Focus on facilitating improvements – A one sided company doesn’t listen to what their employees have to say and often fails to improve communication. Whereas, a business that provides a process to submit suggestions and actively looks for ways to make improvements, builds company morale, and improves communication.
4) Team building – The best way to build trust and communication is through team building activities. With trust, you can build stronger relations that reduce unnecessary competition within departments. Employees can learn how to work and have fun together in a relaxed atmosphere and learn the best ways to communicate with each other.
Team building exercises show the value of everyone’s ideas. Sometimes something as simple as creating a fictional problem that must be solved will help you see how your team will work together to communicate their ideas and solve the issue.
5) Ensure transparency – When you regularly communicate information both internally and externally, others easily understand what you value. Believe it or not, your employees want to know what your marketing plans are or any changes taken place. Don’t keep information from those that will help your business grow.
When you need visual identification in your workplace, The 5S Store has all the products you need to create a devoted workforce!