An often controversial topic is whether to somehow reward employees for their 5S efforts. Personally, I think it can add a little more fun to the program so why not. What do you think?
One program idea I've seen work is described below. What works for your program?
- Using a magnetic white board arrange 4 magnetic document pouches + one for each department
- Label the pouches as follows: Ideas/Reviewed/Dept/In Process/Done
- Provide preformatted idea forms throughout the plant
- Employees will fill out the form and place it in the Ideas pouch
- The employee gets a numbered raffle ticket for each idea they submit
- During each daily manufacturing huddle review the ideas
- Once reviewed move them to the Reviewed pouch (this pouch is only needed if you have multiple shifts)
- Go through the Reviewed ideas and place them in the appropriate Dept pouch
- The Department Manager should review the pouch daily and then move the form to the In Process pouch once appropriate
- Once the idea is implemented or completed move the form to the Done pouch.
- Collect these completed idea forms on a routine basis and track for metrics
- The raffle tickets are placed in a drawing every month
- Determine how many rewards you wish to give out each month
- Conduct the drawing and publicly announce the winners
- Create a board that shows the employees photo, a picture showing the improvement and explain the results